Reviews Print Correction Save

Handy person and staying put schemes

Handy person and staying put schemes logo

Staying Put run a number of projects including Handy person scheme, Gardening service, and the SAFE project, they came also carry out repairs and adaptations to your home. 

The Handy person scheme provides a minor repairs and odd jobs service at a reduced cost to people who are over 60 years of age or disabled

The SAFE project runs in a number of Croydon Wards, mostly in the north of the borough they provides a free home safety and security check for older people. The home security officer will visit clients in their homes and carry out a survey of the property. He will give advice on accident prevention and home security. He can also supply and fit a variety of equipment.

The Gardening service is available to poeple over 55 or disabled.

These service is chargeable but some clients on low income may qualify for help with the cost.

Contact beforehand for more information or you can look on the Croydon Council website.

Bernard Weatherill House, 8 Mint Walk, Croydon, Surrey, CR0 1EA
020 8760 5505

Related Information

Related Factsheets

Service Definitions

You may be having difficulty carrying out daily tasks and activities, such as, getting on and off the toilet, getting out of bed or you are having difficulties because of your illness such as not being able to turn in bed or get to the toilet. If these things are a problem, you may find that with specialist advice, equipment or having changes made to your home (adaptations), you will be able to manage these things more easily and be more independent.
People in need of gardening services can contact AGE UK who have reputable,police verified gardeners who can provide a regular service in order to improve the look of your garden.
AGE UK Croydon can offer help in finding reputable handy men who can assist in completing small jobs needed in a persons home.
Advice for people with housing enquiries.For example,if they are moving property,are waiting to be allocated a local authority property or feel that they are living in sub-standard accomodation.
Local authorities have general powers to improve living conditions in their area in the ways they consider the most appropriate. The factsheet Funding repairs, improvements and adaptations explains what assistance may be available to homeowners and tenants to help them meet the costs of repairs‚ improvements and adaptations. It includes information on: •Help from the local authority (council) •Disabled Facilities Grant •Help from social services •Home Improvement Agencies •Home Improvement Trust •Charities •Useful organisations Local authorities have general powers to improve living conditions in their area in the ways they consider the most appropriate. Your local authority has to have a published policy on how the powers are to be used.