Reviews Print Correction Save

PSU (Personal Support Unit)

Would you like a volunteer to go with you to a court or tribunal hearing?

Our aim is to help you to manage your case for yourself.
We have more than 500 trained and experienced volunteers, including post-graduate students training to be barristers or solicitors.

Our service is free, independent and confidential and the service is offered equally to everyone who asks.
Contact us before your hearing to book a volunteer

Who we help:

  • unrepresented litigants
  • their friends and families
  • inexperienced court or tribunal users
  • witnesses
  • victims

What we offer:

  • someone to come with you to your court or tribunal hearing
  • someone to talk to
  • practical information
  • help in the building
Royal Courts of Justice, Strand, London, WC2A 2LL
Area serviced:
020 7073 4760 or 020 7947 7701/3 (if you need help before your hearing)
Opening times:
Mon - Fri 9:30am-4:30pm

Related Information

Related Factsheets

Service Definitions

Crown Courts

The Crown Court of England and Wales is, together with the High Court of Justice and the Court of Appeal, one of the constituent parts of the Supreme Court of Judicature in England and Wales. It is the higher court of first instance in criminal cases, and is equal in stature to the High Court, which hears civil cases as well as criminal appeals from the Magistrates' Courts. It sits in around 90 locations in England and Wales.

Magistrates Court

A Magistrates' Court or court of petty sessions, formerly known as a police court, is the lowest level of court in England and Wales and many other common law jurisdictions. A magistrates' court is presided over by a tribunal consisting of two or more (most commonly three) Justices of the Peace or by a District Judge (formerly known as a stipendiary magistrate), and dispenses summary justice, under powers usually limited by statute. The tribunal that presides over the Court is often referred to simply as the Bench.

See Community Legal Advice information leaflets for advice regarding your legal rights

In the common law, legal advice is the giving of a formal opinion regarding the substance or procedure of the law by an officer of the court (such as solicitor or barrister), ordinarily in exchange for financial or other tangible compensation.